Friday, May 18, 2007

Blessing in disguise?

I'm not sure how I feel about the news that Zenden is injured and may not make the final in Athens next week.

Part of wonders if he is the right choice to begin with. Yes he has a lot of experience, but I've never been that sure of our left side, ever since Aurelio got injured and Riise was pushed back to left-back.

Gonzalez, I think, doesn't have the experience to play in such an important game (although he could be useful as a late sub). I'm also not that keen on having Arbeloa at left back with Riise moving up, once again (although he's done well) it's Arbeloa inexperience for this kind of game that concerns me.

That really only leaves Kewell, who I think was in the running all along as far a Rafa was concerned. But with Kewell just coming back from injury, there's always the concern that he might not be 100% and match fitness will be an issue. I still remember how poorly he played in Instanpool at the same final as this, although he's subbing did lead to Smicer coming on, who then went on to score those all important goals.

If Kewell is at his best, and plays , it could be really useful. He does typically play well in the big games, and I 'm sure Milan won't have as much info on him and may find him hard to control.

Personally I think Rafa's slightly happy at the prospect as I feel he always wanted to pick Kewell, however, I think he'll be a little nervous at having slimmer back-up.

No comments: