Friday, August 19, 2005

Solano pride at LFC link

Aston Villa winger Nolberto Solano is flattered to be a target for Liverpool, and has revealed he would jump at the chance of a move to Liverpool.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez is desperate to strengthen his right flank and enquired about the availability of Solano.

Reports had suggested that Benitez was hoping to tempt Villa into letting him have Solano as a makeweight in the Midlands club's bid to sign Milan Baros.

Villa are understood to have offered £6million for Baros, plus a further £500,000 in add-ons as manager David O'Leary is desperate to strengthen his strikeforce.

However, O'Leary has apparently been trumped by a bid of £8.5million from Lyon, with money burning a hole in the pockets of president Jean-Michael Aulas after the £24.4million departure of Michael Essien to Chelsea.

Although O'Leary is unaware of any offer from Liverpool for 30-year-old Solano, and Reds manager Rafael Benitez has conceded no bid has been made, the Peruvian has added fuel to the fire surrounding his future.

Villa manager David O'Leary gave the interest short shrift and insists Solano will not be leaving the club.

Solano has been an instrumental figure during his 18 months at Villa Park and the former Newcastle United man has not voiced a desire to leave.

But the 30-year-old concedes it is an honour to be wanted by Benitez, although he will leave a decision on his future in the hands of O'Leary.

"Anyone would be proud to be asked for by Benitez," said Solano.

"He is a coach that has won a lot with Valencia and now with Liverpool.

"But the decision does not depend on me, but the club, with whom I have a contract for the next year."

"It is fantastic when a big club comes in for a player," said Solano.

"Ask any player in the world if they would love to play for a big club, and everyone would love to.

"I won't say 'no, I don't want to go to Liverpool' because they are a big club who want to challenge to win titles, and any player would love to go to Liverpool.

"If you ask any player what they would do if a big club came in for them - Manchester United, Chelsea or Liverpool - everybody would love to go there."

Solano has less than a year remaining on his current contract, however, there has been no suggestion of Villa opening talks on a new deal, although O'Leary intimated yesterday the club were happy to wait until the turn of the year.

Solano, though, appears to be keeping his options open as he added in the Evening Mail: "I only have one more year left and as to whether I stay at Villa, nobody has said anything to me yet.

"To be honest, I just want to only play and we will see what happens. I do not have to renew my contract until the end of the season, until June probably.

"The club could go four or five months to decide what they want to do with me, whether to sign a contract or let me go somewhere.

"But for the moment I want to stay [in the Premier League] and to play here because the Premier League is very exciting for me. Everybody loves it right now.

"But it's not in my hands. It is down to the manager and the club. Of course, if I had the chance of another contract at Villa it would interest me.

"I was very pleased with this club when I moved here and you see the response when I still try to do my best for this club."

Though O'Leary is anxious to bring Baros to the club from Liverpool, he would be reluctant to allow Solano to head in the opposite direction, particularly as the Peruvian would be looked upon as the man to create chances for the Czech striker.

No comments: